Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Going to AQT 2007

Imagine my surprise and excitement when I received a call from Judy at Art Quilt Tahoe letting me know that I won the 2007 AQT scholarship!

I've wanted to go to AQT or Asilomar for years but was never able to make it work with my schedule or budget. Then I saw that AQT offered a scholarship for one student each year and decided that I would apply.

As I partly explained in my essay, learning more advanced techniques and networking with other art quilters and teachers is virtually impossible in Hawaii. We get so few mainland teachers and there are only small numbers of quilters here who are interested in pursuing shows, lectures and events as a participant. That's not to say that there isn't interest in quilting here; after all, most of the islands have at least one guild and there is quite an active and involved community, just on a different level.

I am utterly thrilled that I have been given this opportunity to go next year! It seems like it will take forever for next November to get here, but I know it will be here before I know it. Who knows what other exciting things are in store for 2007?

I've signed up for Carol Taylor's class. Visit her website at www.caroltaylorquilts.com. I'm hoping to soak up more color sense, learn more improvisational piecing techniques (I love to piece the backgrounds for most of my quilts), and master facings. Plus have FUN FUN FUN! I'm sure I'll have more to post about this class as I prepare for it through the year. I can't wait!

5 comments:

Brenda said...

Congratulations! What a fabulous opportunity and you have a whole year of glorious anticipation and preparation.

allie aller said...

Congratulations, Dianna!

Anonymous said...

Way to go! We will be looking forward to future updates on this wonderful event in your quilting life!

Shelina said...

Congratulations Dianna. I haven't taken classes at a convention, but it sounds wonderful. I'm sure you will have a great time and learn lots. You'll have to be sure to schedule meetings at your guild to pass on your new knowledge.

Deborah Boschert said...

Congratulations! So Exciting. I think Kristin LaFlamme won it last year and she's had an amazing year of creating stunning work.