Friday, November 03, 2006

Doing the Right Thing

I'm not much for going back and doing things over. If I'm working on a quilt and something isn't coming out just right, sometimes I will leave it. I guess that's why I prefer applique to piecing, since it doesn't have to be so precise.

However, there is a spot on the agapanthus quilt that is really bothering me, so I'm going to have to go back and fix it. My original intention with the black and white background was to start with the really light (mostly white) B&W's at the top, moving to the more saturated dark (mostly black) fabrics toward the plants for a shaded effect, but I'm finding that the blacks are too dark and competing with the plants.

Can you see what I'm talking about in this picture? It's the area on the lower right.


I think I'm going to replace those 6 or 7 pieces with something a little lighter. I know I will be happier. I want this quilt to come out just right!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's gonna bug you FOREVER if you don't fix it! (I like it, but its not MY quilt, LOL!)

Anonymous said...

I agree with Caitlin, I like it. In the picture it doesn't look to 'dark', but that may not be the case in person. Also if it is going to bug you forever, you'd better redo it before you go any further.

Shel

Anonymous said...

Yep. I agree. If you don't like it, you'll always look at it & say "I should have..." & it'll drive you crazy. I'm that way too. Sometimes it's better to just do it! (But honestly, it doesn't look that bad!) :)

catsmum said...

can you piece the adjacent bits without joining them onto this bit? Maybe that way you could audition it before you make any drastic changes.

Anonymous said...

Well,
Here goes my interpretation of what you were getting at. The right side yes is darker than the left, and this leads to an unbalance for the eye. However, I think replacing a bunch of pieces may be too much. Overall, the couple right lower pieces really seem to be what is throwing the eye off. The other thing I notice is that the left side has more curve. This pulls my eye left. What I would suggest is thinking about something with a linear grain or abstract stripe (instead of the circular prints) that pulls the eye right, without necessarily such a huge value change. I think that would be a fix without redoing a lot. That's my constructive critism. I really like what you have so far, especially your gradiations of green.
Good Luck, let it rest and come back for another view.

Karoda said...

dianna, i can see what you're talking about but if this is not the entire quilt you might place the other fabrics or sections around it for a larger view before making the change and then decide.

Nellie's Needles said...

The previous comments advice is good ... figuring out what comes next before making changes. May I suggest that any replacement fabrics be appliqued over the ones you don't like. Since this is a technique that you like to do and are skillful enough to be successful.

I'm looking forward to seeing the wonderful freely growing plant finished.