Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Judge's Comments

My turtle quilt "Honu" just came back from the NQA show. Thanks to my net friend, Teri, I got to see the fabulous quilts that were in my category. WOW!

I got good judges comments:

  • Fabric choices used to create turtle are wonderful
  • Machine applique stitches should be closer together (what?)
  • Background quilting is appropriate water theme
  • Good binding technique (yeah!)
  • Successful portrayal of turtle.
Now, don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with the comments, especially the binding one, because that's an area I've been working on. The one that bugs me is the "machine applique stitches should be closer together." You may have read my previous posts about machine applique and how I don't like the smooth, mechanical satin stitch look, especially for my quilts. At least my stitch was consistent. You can judge for yourself by looking at the closeups in my March Archives. SO, I am taking this with a grain of salt. After all, one of my other quilts, "Night Light," uses the same technique and it won 1st place in the wall hanging division at this show last year.

1 comment:

Ann Morrell said...

I love that turtle...that piece was what drew me to your blog....I think, don't know, that many judges that are picked to judge feel it is their duty to write something negative....I have seen some statements that really didn't even apply ...maybe they are provided a pre-printed list and just go to the piece...look down choosing a comment...I for one found that quilt wonderful and even entered a postcard swap for sea turtles bbecause of it....I love sea turtles they actually use our beaches to lay their eggs.