Sunday, September 10, 2006

Some Thoughts about Food

I saw this meme on Joanne's blog. I don't do this very often, but food is very close to my heart, SO:

  • How do you like your eggs? Over easy or poached. The yolks better be runny and the whites better be cooked, or else!
  • How do you take your coffee/tea? Tea: Lipton or Tazo Zen (green), straight, hot in winter and cold in summer. I've only recently started appreciating coffee and prefer the "sissy" drinks from Starbucks, but will have black with cream.
  • Favorite breakfast foods. Everything. I love breakfast. Eggs Benedict (original with ham), hash browns (the shredded kind, but only if cooked just right - crispy on the outside and tender on the inside), oatmeal in winter with or without fruit and nuts, orange juice, and CEREAL - I love cereal. If I'm feeling like a kid, then Lucky Charms, Coco Puffs or Corn Pops (which used to be called Sugar Corn Pops, remember?). If I feel like I need to be good, then Go Lean Crunch, Raisin Bran, etc. Donuts - but we don't have good cake donuts here. I miss Winchell's white cake with white icing or colored sprinkles or chocolate with chocolate icing and coconut. I can thank my Dad for that - he used to bring them home after work when I was little.
  • Peanut butter: smooth or crunchy? Skippy creamy. Best on anything toasted so the peanut butter melts and oozes off. And don't skimp, either!
  • What kind of dressing on your salad? Hidden Valley Ranch or Girard's White Balsamic.
  • Coke or Pepsi? Coke, definitely. And none of that unleaded crap, either! Preferably fountain soda. If it's canned, it has to be cold (in the can), then poured over ice, slowly, to keep the fizz.
  • You're feeling lazy. What do you make? Cereal.
  • You're feeling really lazy. What kind of pizza do you order? We go down to our new place, Serpico's and have a slice and and soda. Otherwise, we usually don't order pizza, we make it - normally Thai chicken pizza with goat cheese.
  • You feel like cooking. What do you make? The fanciest thing that looks or sounds good from Bon Appetit or Gourmet. Or something from Barefoot Contessa or the scads of cookbooks I have.
  • Do any foods bring back good memories? I always think of my great grandmother when I make pie, especially blueberry. Since I love to cook, I have mostly good memories surrounding food.
  • Do any foods bring back bad memories? Hawaiian Punch, strawberry soda, rum, or peach Snapple. I've puked them all and won't touch them.
  • Do any foods remind you of someone? Not particularly.
  • Is there a food you refuse to eat? Besides those in "bad memories" above, Brussells sprouts or lamb. I'll try most anything once.
  • What was your favorite food as a child? Ice cream. Still is one of my favorites.
  • Is there a food that you hated as a child but now love? Broccoli
  • Is there a food that you loved as a child but now hate? Hawaiian Punch
  • Favorite fruit & vegetable: Can't say I have an absolute favorite, because I like most.
  • Favorite junk food: Candy - but not chocolate, and cookies or pastry.
  • Favorite between meal snack: Trail mix bar or something like that.
  • Do you have any weird food habits? I generally won't eat anything past the date.
  • Red wine or white? Good red, great white. Current favorites are La Crema Pinot Noir and Louis Jadot Puilly Fuisse.
  • We only have beer: Any. Corona, Coors, Heineken, Sam Adams Light, Steinlager, Tsing Tao, Kirin. Only very, very cold will do.
  • Favorite dessert? Ice cream or creme brulee.
  • The perfect nightcap? Dessert!

No comments: