This is the inspiration for my latest quilt. I only knew the flower as "agapanthus," but my mom let me know its more lyrical name, "Lily of the Nile."
I have the pattern drawn, which is a full bank of these plants and their firework-like blooms. It's about 72"wx60"h. It started with a photo I took, which I traced onto a transparent overhead sheet, then blew up to the size I wanted. My friend Joan let me use her overhead projector and design wall so I could get it the size I needed.
I'll be shopping for fabrics on my trip to California this week. I'll have about one day in So. Cal., then one day at the Pacific International Quilt Festival. I'm SURE I'll find something good there!