Monday, February 13, 2006

Viewpoints Gallery Show

I did my demo Saturday at the gallery. I had lots of visitors and the time went quickly. I didn't do any stitching, instead I showed visitors how I started from a digital photo, made the pattern, then turned it into a quilt (Cliff's Notes version).

This first photo shows my Lei Roselani quilt graced by pottery (Sandy Vitarelli), and a painting by Joyce Clark on the left and Betty Hay Freeland on the right.

The second photo shows Hula Kahiko, with basketry by Susan Kilmer and Fiama von Schuetze, wood vessels by Keola Sequeira and Michael P. Smith, sculpture by Ilene Kratka, and paintings by Suzy Papanikolas. It's such a thrill to be included with some of Maui's most talented and esteemed artists!!

The show is beautifully hung and has very special mana (spirit) that virtually permeates the gallery. You can see more artwork at the Viewpoints Gallery website.

Several ladies from the quilt guild stopped by, and a couple of people stopped in just to talk quilting because they knew I would be there (how cool is that!) - they saw the item in the invitation. Lynn and Chris Curtis even brought me a lei - Lynn is on the board of directors for the Boys & Girls Club of Maui where I work. It was such a surprise and all made for a very nice day.

The opening last Saturday was fabulous. I think there were about 250 people there - it was standing room only! I received three lei - carnations from Keri, orchids from my Mom, and one from Joelle and Oliver from the gallery. It's customary to give lei for special occasions in Hawaii - and oh so special to receive them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yor work lookks FABULOUS int hat show - and all the work really complements each other - how wonderful to have a gallaery open to mixed media exhbitions - what an inspiration!!!!

Those lei are so pretty!