Monday, June 27, 2005

Quilt in a Few Days-Part 2

"Kona Sunrise" is coming along! I finished the borders, tree and leaf applique, and started adding the beans. This is the quilt I started last week for the Kona Coffee Quilt Contest, the entry deadline of which is June 30!

My husband, Bruce, and I spent the weekend searching Maui for the best beads for the coffee beans, but came up empty handed. So, hand-dyed silk to the rescue! My friend, Robin Ferrier, is dyeing beautiful silks these days and I was lucky to have the perfect piece. I spent last night cutting out a bunch of little beans and will fuse them on today so I can quilt it tonight. You can see Robin's blog at www.quiltantics.blogspot.com.

I've decided that I like fusible A LOT, especially when you have a ton of applique to do on a last minute quilt. I started out with Wonder Under, which I like the best so far. I ran out of it half way through and switched to Steam-a-Seam, which I don't like nearly as much. For some reason, it doesn't stick too well to the silk.

On to the quilting...

No comments: