Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Way to go, Ina!

Ina Garten is coming to my house tonight to help me with tomorrow's dinner. Ha! I wish, but she WILL be visiting in the form of this book:

I bought it as a gift recently and, after thumbing through the pages before I wrapped it (I didn't USE it, I swear!), I ran right back out and bought another copy at Costco FOR ME.

I think my SIL bought me my first Barefoot Contessa cookbook and I have steadily added nearly every one she's published to my library (I don't have "Parties," and apparently that is a HUGE oversight on my part after what I've been reading on the Internet, but that's another story).

Keep in mind that you do not buy Ina's cookbooks for their diet-friendly recipes (although there are a few that are passable). I buy them because no matter what recipe I try, it always comes out delicious (with the exception of Chicken with Forty Cloves of Garlic, which was downright nasty, but I'm sure it was something I did, though I have no idea what).

Last night I made "Baked Shrimp Scampi" for dinner, because Bruce loves scampi and I've never made a truly successful scampi. Not only was it easy (despite quite a bit of prep and chopping), but it smelled delicious and tasted equally so. Bruce said it was the best he'd ever had and my MIL said it was better than going out to dinner! I served it on spaghetti drizzled with a little olive oil. And like Ina says in the cookbook, that last little bit of lemon spritzed on just before serving was the magic touch!

Tonight we're having Roasted Pear Salad, and tomorrow for Thanksgiving we're having Roasted Turkey Roulade as our entree and Pumpkin Roulade with Ginger Buttercream for dessert. Last week we had Roasted Butternut Squash Salad with Warm Apple Cider Vinaigrette. That particular salad has become the house favorite - and we're having that tomorrow, too.

If you love to cook, I highly recommend this book. Now, if I could just find pancetta on Maui, I'd be set!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It all sounds so wonderful! Enjoy the holiday! And if your ever in need of another sister....LOL

Melody Johnson said...

I love Ina and her voice, and watch her daily on the food network. I wish she would adopt me.
She and her husband seem so in love. sigh.