Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Fun with Jane

Finally! A few spare moments to sit down and post a little bit about our class with Jane Sassaman.  Jane was here for a three-day workshop on "Abstracting from Nature."  I'm a long-time fan of hers but could never get to the mainland for her classes, so I brought her here instead!








We had a full class with 20 students.  Our first day was at the scenic Hui No'eau Visual Arts Center in Makawao.  The children's studio building was just right!  Lots of windows, fresh air, and Jane's stunning quilts to admire.  Many in the class brought fresh plants and flowers for inspiration.  After stumbling around a bit, I chose Naupaka Kahakai or "beach naupaka."  It is a flower with an interesting Hawaiian legend attached (more on that in another post).















Here is a look at the work in progress.  I still have a lot of fine tuning to do, but I'm very happy with the results!


 Jane went back to Chicago yesterday.  I miss her already!

2 comments:

Linda Cline said...

Your flowers are beautiful. The class looks like it was lots of fun. I would love take a class with Jane.

Kristin L said...

I wish I could have made it to that class. My kids and I went on a nature walk this weekend and learned about Naupaka Kahakai. :-)