Thursday, June 21, 2007

RIP Old Thread Stand

Some of the threads I use do not fit on my standard Bernina 160 spool pins, so the first time I needed to use a cone of thread with this machine, I improvised:

I used this for such a long time that I can't remember where I read about it, but it was a good idea for a time. (The thread comes off the cone and through the little circle at the top, then goes through the regular thread path on the machine.)

One day, I was having trouble (and undoubtedly swearing) with this format, and said, "I really need a thread stand to use with this machine." Bruce just happened to be in earshot and asked me for details. Handy guy that he is (thanks, Honey!), a short time later he presented me with this:


A very functional thread stand made of a block of scrap wood, a broken chopstick and a wire coat hanger. Perfectly functional, and something I used for a couple of years! But with the sale of my recent quilt came a shopping spree that included this:

I've been surfing eBay to find one of these and each time I got outbid, so I bought it for full retail at our local Bernina dealer. It will come in very handy for the threading I need to do on my quilts and for my class with Carol Taylor at Art Quilt Tahoe in November.

So, good-bye old thread stand! Maybe I'll give the parts back to Bruce and see what he can MacGuyver up next!

4 comments:

Nellie's Needles said...

It sure would be nice to have a clever, handy husband. In spite of that, I'm happy for your purchase of that beautiful spool holding system. You deserve the BEST!

Sue said...

I can't believe I've never seen one of those, brilliant! Though I think your hubby could snazz his invention up a bit and start a side business!

Helen said...

Well, that is a great illustration of the evolution of design (and necessity being the mother of invention)!

Margaret McDonald said...

so funny to see MacGuyver expression used. I haven't heard that in years. I'm digging deep in your blog for info on Janome 1600