Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Hana Bamboo

Hana Bamboo
18"x24" (approx.)

Here is the quilt in its latest form. I added the shadows at the bottom and the stamped leaves at the top. The leaves are in two colors of Lumiere - copper and gold. I almost feel like it needs one more color, maybe black. Am I cheesing it up?

My friend Joan suggested that I frame this piece with a bamboo frame. On Pat's blog she has a wonderful tutorial. I think I will follow her format and see what happens. The shadowbox frames she uses are hard to find here on Maui, but darling Bruce said he would build a box if I found the right frame. It will have to be done this weekend, since drop-off for the show is next Wednesday!

IF I frame the quilt, I might not even bind it. I can't seem to find the right fabric and I've never done a facing before (I will learn that at Carol Taylor's class at Art Quilt Tahoe, but not till November!).

Here is a closeup of the leaves:


I like the sheer effect of the Lumiere paint, but I still think it needs a darker color.

I drew and carved the stamps myself:


I really like this! You can add whatever you want, whenever you want. I have a nice little stack of 4"x6" blanks for carving. Buying rubber stamps is so expensive, and this is much more personal.

True to my nature, I carved the stamps then boldly attacked the fabric. One of these days the fact that I don't do test runs is going to backfire, but I was lucky again this time.

9 comments:

allie aller said...

That filtered light effect is VERY effective!

Deb Geyer said...

A darker color with the leaves might make them look more solid.

What did you carve the stamps from?

Nellie's Needles said...

Possibly a colorless Lumiere (silver? pewter?) may give the effect you're after. It may give you shadows adding to the depth you've created.

Anonymous said...

My, How this has 'grown' since the last time I saw it. It is very effective. If you add anything more, it should be only a 'tad'. Remember, sometimes less is better.

Love ya,
Shel

Shelina said...

I really like those stamps. It's such a good idea, so you can personalize it anyway you want. Your piece looks great.

mehitabel said...

I like Nelly's idea of adding shadows--not much, and I don't think a strong color like black. It's gorgeous, though, and framing it will really emphasize its beauty! No binding needed if it's framed...

Sandra said...

It's beautiful! Your stamps (and stamping) look great. I agree with the others, a few somewhat darker leaves might be good.

Teri said...

Dianna, I like your quilt ALOT!!!

Unknown said...

To answer Deb's question, I use Soft-Kut printing blocks from Dick Blick: http://www.dickblick.com/zz404/01/

They carve easily and are fairy inexpensive. If you go this route, make sure to purchase the Speedball Lino Cutters: http://www.dickblick.com/zz402/03/

I like the two-handle package with the assorted blades. Then you are not switching out handles all the time.

Now, I’d better get the rest of my stamping done on the quilt!