Monday, September 12, 2005

Some People's Taste...

I realized the other day, as I was perusing my Amazon wish list, that I have very unusual taste in music. Right there, in the middle of a bunch of Alternative Rock, was the new Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers DVD set - which appeals to my appreciation of show tunes, which I probably developed watching old movies and the Lawrence Welk Show with my grandma.

I grew up listening to good Classic Rock: Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, CCR, Aerosmith, Kansas, Queen, Eagles, Blue Oyster Cult, etc. I had a tiny AM transistor radio and a tape recorder with a microphone so I could record my favorite songs off the radio, disk jockey interruptions and all. In high school, my taste expanded to New Wave (Oingo Boingo, Wall of Voodoo, Flock of Seagulls, Devo, Thompson Twins) and some punk, while still sticking to my love of rock (Ozzy, The Cars, Van Halen, Sammy Hagar, Whitesnake, Bon Jovi) further enhanced by my then boyfriend, who was a drummer in a local rock band.

Shortly after high school, I met my husband, who grew up in Laguna Beach, California. As appropriate for the surf set he enjoyed listening to Rock, but would most likely be listening to Reggae. This was new to me and it took awhile to slow down and appreciate the easy rhythms of the music. I'm partial to Ziggy Marley and the Melody Makers "Play the Game Right," which is probably the first Reggae tape I listened to, and which we no longer have in our collection, but the Bob Marley classic "Legend" in my car CD player right now.

But now, my taste is turning back to hard rock and alternative, and I love Seether, Audioslave (and Soundgarden), Weezer, Cake, Beck, Stained, Nickelback, and even Nine Inch Nails. Add a little Fiona Apple, Garbage, Tori Amos, and Hole to the mix and I'm happy.

My husband, who doesn't share my appreciation for some of the harder stuff, just rolls his eyes and smiles. I just say, "There's no accountin' for some people's taste!"

1 comment:

Debra Dixon said...

I just returned from Nashville and on one of the tours the guide told us that the Europeans are flocking to Nashville to listen to the older country & western music. When I asked why, he replied that they hadn't had it the first time! They are buying all kinds of remastered CDs and such.

My 22 year old son is buying LPS in the thrift stores and playing them on a stereo. He is having a grand time listening to the variety. He is a big swing dancer too!