Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Lei Project

My art quilt group, Maui Art Quilters, is preparing for a special exhibit at PIQF in 2010.  Rather than make a signature quilt where everyone works on part, we are each making individual lei to hang together.  The vision was that the finished quilt would be reminiscent of the lei stands you see (although, sadly, less frequently) here in Hawaii.

After a couple of false starts with another idea, I decided to create my lei using a version of the "lokelani" or Maui rose.

I finally finished mine, which was due last week.  I just couldn't seem to find a chunk of time to work on it, but last weekend my time opened up.  Here is a close up of the finished piece:






The rest of the lei from the group are really stunning.  For a preview, visit the MAQs blog HERE.

10 comments:

Allie said...

That's spectacular!!!!!

Anonymous said...

gorgeous - I went to the MAQ blog and they're all stunning, what a terrific idea.

Vicki W said...

Your lei project is beautiful!

Sandra said...

What a great idea! They look wonderful all together like that. Your group should be proud!

Anonymous said...

Went to MAQ blog. How pretty!!! I can't wait to see it finished. You gals do beautiful work!

Mom

Linda Zimmerman said...

Having seen a lei stand in Maui I understand completely what your group is creating and it is beautiful and very original! You lei is striking!

Ali Honey said...

They are all lovely ( on the other site ) but yours colour wise is spectacular.

Bev said...

Gorgeous, Dianna! You're amazing! Mine still isn't done! Bev

Anonymous said...

I love the colors against the black and it's beautiful.

Regga said...

That is really nice. I will be waiting for your exhibition next year.