Sunday, January 21, 2007

Does Planning Derail Creativity?

Like everyone, I am trying to eek out more studio time. One of my goals for this year is to produce several pieces - one or two for quilt shows and two or more for art shows. My trouble is finding time.

I am usually very organized, but I've found in the last several months that many projects are flying by the wayside because I've lost focus. I need to pull myself together and start organizing my time better, both at work and at home.

I can operate on a very regimented system for most things, but can I do this for creative time? Many writers have dedicated writing time. In Chris Baty's book, No Plot No Problem, he actually has a very good plan to find small pockets of time to write. Can I convert this plan to quilting? I'm going to try this as an experiment for the next few months, see how it works and report back here.

How do you find extra creative time. If you schedule it, how does that work for you?

1 comment:

Nicky said...

Hello
I think that a strong intention and focus are the most important things when scheduling creative time. If you have the intention to do it then it will happen. Focus is more important than the amount of time you have - it's what you do with it that counts.